Applying Professional Scrum for Software Development™ Training (APS-SD)
Scrum™ for Software
Contact us to
schedule a workshop.
Practices for Scrum Teams to Deliver Quality Software Frequently
Applying Professional Scrum™ for Software Development (APS-SD) is a hands-on course where students experience how to deliver quality software using Scrum with Agile and DevOps practices. Students work in Scrum Teams over a series of Sprints, creating code on a realistic software system to learn Scrum while using Scrum. The course includes a free attempt at the globally recognized Professional Scrum Developer I certification exam (PSD I).
Over the 3 days*, students gain a real-world view of what it is like to build software with Scrum. They collaborate over a series of Sprints applying modern engineering practices, and using the Scrum framework to manage complexity. The key focus of the class is on how to develop and deliver increments of releasable functionality. Students will experience real-world challenges and issues, and through a series of Sprints will learn how to continuously improve the way they perform their work.
The course teaches how Agile engineering practices and supportive DevOps tools complement Scrum and further advance a team’s capabilities.
The course is available in .NET and Java specific technologies, along with a generic technology course. Professional Scrum Trainers can work with you to define a specific technology stack that meets your needs in private classes for your organization.
The .NET version was developed in partnership with Microsoft® and is the official training solution for Microsoft Visual Studio.
View the different Focus Areas covered within this class and others.
* When offered in-person, this course is generally delivered over three consecutive days. When offered as a Live Virtual Class, the course may be broken up into more, shorter days.
Course Learning Objectives
- Experience real collaboration between Developers, Product Owner and Scrum Master in the quest of building and delivering a high quality and valuable product.
- Build and deliver working software by applying modern Agile engineering practices and supportive DevOps tools.
- Understand the synergy between the various elements of Scrum and complementary practices.
- The Scrum Framework
- Working within a Scrum Team
- Definition of Done
- Backlog management practices and slicing features
- Code quality and Technical Debt
- Agile architecture practices
- Test Driven Development
- Pair Programming
- Agile Testing and other practices to ensure quality
- Using DevOps with Scrum
Who Should Attend this class?
The APS for Software Development course is intended for all members of a Scrum Team involved in developing and delivering software based systems including: architects, analysts, programmers, database developers, testers, managers, IT-Operations and others, including Scrum Masters and Product Owners.
This course provides greatest value if the whole Scrum Team (Developers, Scrum Master and Product Owner) attend together and experience the power of real teamwork. Teams that attend together are not only able to apply learnings to their work immediately, but are also able to recall their classroom experiences to overcome particularly challenging times.
Of course, this class is also valuable to individuals attending without their entire team. These students will experience working on a Scrum Team during the class and will be able to transfer their learnings to their teammates, often convincing their teammates of the advantages of using Scrum, Agile and DevOps practices.
Professional Scrum Certification
All participants completing the Applying Professional Scrum for Software Development course will receive a password to attempt the Professional Scrum Developer (PSD) assessment. APS-SD class participants who attempt the PSD I assessment within 14 days of receiving their free password and do not score at least 85% will be granted a 2nd attempt at no additional cost.
Students of official Scrum.org Applying Professional Scrum for Software Development classes are also entitled to a 40% discount on the PSM I assessment once passing PSD I. The industry-recognized Professional Scrum certifications require a minimum passing score.
PMI PDU Credits
Students of Scrum.org courses are able to claim Project Management Institute (PMI) PDU credit: 21 PDUs after attending a three-day Applying Professional Scrum for Software Development (APS-SD) course. Please note that PMI PDUs are earned for course attendance and not for passing a Scrum.org assessment. Students can claim PDUs under PMI’s “Education courses provided by other third party providers” category. You can claim your PDUs online at https://ccrs.pmi.org. Find instructions here.
Schedule and Logistics
- Training will be online and begin at 9:30 AM sharp and will end around 4:00 PM on all 3 days. There will be a lunch break at noon. (All times US Central)
- Students should login 5-10 minutes prior to start of each session to work through any technical issues.
- All students should be able to use Zoom and Mural.
- All students must complete the Pre-work by the deadline to join the class.
- All students must behave in alignment with the working agreement co-created by all students in class.
- All students should keep their cameras turned on throughout the training.
- Any student who misses more than 30 minutes of the training will neither receive the certificate of course participation nor will they receive the free password for taking the PSM-1 assessment.
SmoothApps offers the following additional training courses, which are available publicly and privately.
- Applying Professional Scrum
- Professional Scrum Master
- Professional Scrum Product Owner
- Scaled Professional Scrum