Applying Professional Scrum(APS)
Solidify Your Knowledge Through Practice
Applying Professional ScrumTM (APS) is a hands-on course that provides the foundational knowledge needed to work with Scrum in a highly practical way. The course is a combination of instruction and team-based exercises. During the exercises, students work in Scrum Teams over a series of Sprints to learn Scrum while using Scrum. They experience first-hand how the Scrum framework improves their ability to deliver value compared to traditional methods. The course also includes a free attempt at the globally recognized Professional Scrum Master I certification exam (PSM I). This course was previously known as Professional Scrum Foundations.
What You Will Learn
During the class, students experience Professional Scrum. They experience new, agile ways of working that enable teams to deliver more value, satisfy stakeholders and work better together. Students work together as a team in a series of Sprints to build a product, facing the same problems they face outside of class and learn how to use Scrum to address them. The events, roles, artifacts and principles of Scrum are leveraged during the exercises. By emphasizing the practical application of Scrum, the course also exposes common missteps and misunderstandings allowing students to develop an awareness of the associated symptoms and how to correct them. Students not only learn Scrum; they learn how to use Scrum well.
This class is taught both publicly and privately. In a public setting individual students, or multiple colleagues from the same company, will join other students and benefit from diverse experiences. Organizations can also contract trainers to hold a private class just for their staff. APS is designed to be industry and domain agnostic; our Professional Scrum Trainers will select one of several case studies to best meet the specific learning needs of the class. Students and teams building software products may want to consider our domain-specific course: Applying Professional Scrum for Software Development.
Applying Professional Scrum is excellent training for organizations, teams, and anyone wanting to experience using Scrum. The course also provides the foundational Scrum knowledge needed for those wishing to continue their education with role-focused (Scrum Master, Product Owner, Developer, Leader) training classes. Whether you are getting started on your first Scrum effort or refreshing your knowledge, this course gives students the ability and direction to start using Scrum immediately after the class.
- Learn about Agility and how Scrum differs from traditional plan-driven work models
- Learn (or relearn) the fundamentals of Scrum and how to apply them correctly
- Develop an understanding of what it is like to use Scrum and if it is right for your team
- Learn how to be a great Scrum Team member
- Leave the class with ways to identify common pitfalls and how to avoid them
- Agility as a new way of working
- Exploring the Scrum Framework
- Planning and forecasting with Scrum
- Getting started with Scrum
Who Should Attend
The Applying Professional Scrum course is the perfect introduction, reboot or refresher to Scrum. This course is for teams or anyone wanting to experience the Scrum way of working. APS provides the knowledge needed for anyone interested in taking role-focused training. We also suggest that you read through the APS Focus Areas.
Professional Scrum Master Certification
All participants completing the Applying Professional Scrum course will receive a password to attempt the Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I). The industry-recognized PSM I certification requires a minimum passing score of 85%. APS class participants who attempt the PSM I assessment within 14 days of receiving their free password and do not score at least 85% will be granted a 2nd attempt at no additional cost.
You are also entitled to a 40% discount on the PSM II assessment once passing PSM I. The industry-recognized PSM certifications require a minimum passing score.
Schedule and Logistics
- Training will be online and begin at 9:30 AM sharp and will end around 4:00 PM on all 3 days. There will be a lunch break at noon. (All times US Central)
- Students should login 5-10 minutes prior to start of each session to work through any technical issues.
- All students should be able to use Zoom and Mural.
- All students must complete the Pre-work by the deadline to join the class.
- All students must behave in alignment with the working agreement co-created by all students in class.
- All students should keep their cameras turned on throughout the training.
- Any student who misses more than 30 minutes of the training will neither receive the certificate of course participation nor will they receive the free password for taking the PSM-1 assessment.